Wooden furniture is what you have in every home. Some of them are oiled, some are painted, and some or may be polished. No matter whichever type of wooden furniture you have in your home, one of the regular duties is cleaning them in proper ways.
Talking about cleaning, it’s not only wiping out the dust and dirt with a piece of wet cloth. Different kinds of wooden furniture need to be cleaned with different tactics. As we have seen, very few of the people have a proper idea on how to paint wood furniture.
Therefore, we have decided to come up with an entire post on this topic. Grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and go through the entire post until you find the right way of cleaning the furniture you have in your home.
What are the different furniture types at home?
Just like we said a while back, wooden types of furniture are of different types. Here is a quick list-
- Oiled wooden furniture.
- Painted wooden furniture.
- Polished wooden furniture.
- Specialty wooden furniture.
However, we will take you to the necessary steps that you need to take care of each of these furniture types. Let’s start-
Cleaning oiled wood:
You can recognize oil-finished wooden furniture by the warm and soft glow that they come with. To keep them look nice, this kind of furniture need pretty occasional application of furniture oil.
Here are a couple of tips for cleaning such kind of furniture-
- After regular use, you will find white spots on oil finished furniture. These are caused because of wet glasses, wet plates, and literally everything that leaves a watermark.
To clean such marks, you need to rub them with oil and any kind of mild abrasive. Some of the mild abrasive materials are- salt, pumice, baking soda, ash etc. Oils that are recommended to use are- petroleum jelly, cooking oil, olive oil etc.
- When you are waxing an oil finished furniture, be careful with that. Wood has pores, and wax is likely to block them.
Cleaning painted wood:
The second kind of wood that we are talking about is the painted wood. On the surfaces of painted wood, there are both color and decoration. While cleaning, you need to keep both of them in your mind.
There are three tips to clean painted wood furniture-
- Vacuum cleaning the furniture on regular basis is the best tips for such furniture. The only kinds of dirt that will remain on the surface are- dust and debris. A vacuum cleaner along with a brush attachment should be quite enough to remove that off.
- Painted woods are very likely to have smudges and fingernails on them. And you need to clean that occasionally. For cleaning finger marks and smudges, sponging with a semi-wet cloth is good enough.
- The least favorite kind of cleaning technique for painted wood furniture is polishing and waxing. Such cleaning can damage both color and the decoration of the furniture.
Cleaning Polished Wood:
Among all of the wood types, that we have listed in this post, cleaning polished wood is maybe the easiest one. To give finishing on touch wood, the usual materials used are- varnish, wax or lacquer. There are tons of commercial polished wood cleaners who would do it for a certain charge.
But if you want to do it yourself, we have got a few tips-
- First of all, choose the right cleaning product that is appropriate for the finish of your furniture. The most conveniently used cleaning technique is paste wax. Paste wax is likely to provide a hard and long-lasting finish in comparison with liquid polish or spray. Specially, for antique type types of furniture, we highly recommend such cleaning technique.
- In some of the furniture, there are cotton gloves used while waxing them. This will not leave any kind of fingerprint or white marks. Therefore, you are recommended to wear cotton gloves while waxing.
- Sprinkling corn-starch over the furniture surface is another of the techniques. To achieve high glossing rate, we recommend this kind of training practices. These materials also absorb any excess oil or mark from the surface of the furniture.
- For regular cleaning, you can use a wet cloth and rub gently. Specially, for removing white circles, white spots and similar kind of marks, this comes to be handy.
- There are many times when white rings and white spots damage the external beauty of polished furniture. To deal with such issues, we recommend using mayonnaise.
For cleaning with mayonnaise, apply it on the spot and wait for half an hour. Afterward, clean it off with a soft cloth or cotton.
Special kind of wood:
The three kinds of furniture that we have mentioned above, are regular wooden types of furniture. But there are some more of them that usually have a natural finish. In fact, some of them may contain varnish or shellac coating.
Here are some examples of special kind of wooden furniture- bamboo, cane, rattan, wicker, and rush.
However, we have a number of cleaning tips for such kinds of furniture-
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment on regular basis. This will help to clean up dust and debris from the wooden surface.
- In the case of rush furniture’s, damage can be taken place by the moisture. In order to deal with that, you need to rinse the surfaces and restore the moisture to the fibers.
- You can use a water sprayer to clean the unvarnished sites of the furniture. Once you have applied water sprayer on them, leave them as like they are, and they will try off automatically.
- The last piece of cleaning advice that we can give for these furniture’s is to use upholstered cleaning techniques. If the finishing is of oil type, upholstered planning techniques are recommended.